A recent JAMA (Journal of the America Medical Association) report has linked Celebrex to an increased risk of heart attacks, blood clots and strokes. Other serious Celebrex side effects are related to the blocking of the COX-2 enzyme.
These Celebrex side effects may include:
- Serious Allergic Reactions: this may include the swelling and blistering of the face, lips, tongue, and throat. This can cause severe difficulty breathing or swallowing.
- Severe Stomach Problems: While rare, Celebrex can cause severe and spontaneous stomach and intestinal bleeding.
- Kidney Problems: This might include acute kidney failure, or the worsening of existing cases of chronic kidney problems.
- Severe Liver Problems: these problems may include nausea, tiredness, itching, and tenderness in the upper-right abdomen, and possibly flu-like symptoms.
Other more common, yet non life-threatening side effects may include:
- Upper and/or lower respiratory infection and/or inflammation
- Heartburn, stomach pain and upset
- Swelling of the legs and/or feet
- High blood pressure
- Back pain
- Urinary tract infection
If you experience any of the following symptoms, please see your health care professional immediately.